In the permanent exhibition of the Museum of Vojvodina, archaeology is presented in three halls, on a space of about 700 m2. The exhibition presents the most valuable finds arranged according to modern museum principles (reconstruction of habitations and individual structures, photographs, maps, legends) and covers the period from the Paleolith to the late Middle Ages. The auxiliary devices are used to give a better insight into the life of the population, their economic development, burial customs, arts and religious worship, from the beginning of man`s inhabitation of this region.
Historical time begins with information on the multiethnic development of Vojvodina.
The many centuries of mutual connections between the Slavic, Ugro-Finnic and Germanic peoples in the Pannonian and Danube Basin regions have led to the joint life of numerous ethnic groups on the territory of present day Vojvodina - Serbs, Hungarians, Slovaks, Rumanians, Ruthenians, Croats, Germans and others. In their historical development all these peoples have preserved their specific features, customs, folk costumes and the like.
An urban street from the past
At the permanent exhibition in the Museum of Vojvodina, an urban street in Vojvodina from the beginning of the 20th century is presented. It is chronologically attached on the economic history typical for these regions. Visitors are guided by carefully chosen, original and authentic objects into an epoch behind us in a different, new way. They can approach the atmosphere of the past through photographs of the most remarkable buildings and authentic shop windows on a photographer’s atelier, a tailor’s workshop, a milliner’s shop, pharmacy, toy shop and china shop.
The unification of Vojvodina with Serbia and the creation of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes under the Karađorđević dynasty in 1918 helped achieve the centuries-long aim of the national struggle of Vojvodina Serbs.
Economic growth of Vojvodina between the two World Wars
With the entrance of Vojvodina into the Kingdom of Serbia, i.e. Yugoslavia at the end of 1918, there came about thorough changes in the circumstances of its economic development up to that point. The economy of Vojvodina had to reorient itself towards the undeveloped internal Yugoslavian market. It ceased to be a significant exporter of grain and mill products to the middle-European market.
The antifascist struggle in Vojvodina 1941-1945.
Vojvodina, which comprised Banat, Bačka, Baranja and Syrmia, was occupied during the April War by the aggressor troops of Hitler’s Germany and its allies, and was split into three completely separate occupied regions. Banat formally became part of Nedić’s Serbia, Bačka and Baranja were occupied by Horthy’s Hungarian troops, while Syrmia became part of Pavelić’s Ustaše-led Independent State of Croatia.
The Red Army in battles on Vojvodina and Yugoslavia territories
According to the Moscow treaty of September 28th 1944, parts of the 2nd and 3rd Ukrainian fronts of the Red Army participated in battles led in certain parts of Yugoslavia, offering significant support to the units of the Yugoslavian Army.
MUSEUM COMPLEX IN KULPIN
The exhibition of period furniture
The collection of period furniture in the Museum of Vojvodina has been systematically accumulated, ever since 1955. Soon after in 1961, the first furniture exhibition was displayed in the Museum. In 1967, the Museum earned the right to dispose and use the manor in Čelarevo with its complete furniture, so the collection became remarkably enriched, therefore an appropriate space should have been obtained for the exhibition. In late 2009, this collection was transferred to the mansion in Kulpin, and displayed there. This exhibition contains items covering the period from the early 18th to the first half of the 20th century.
The Exhibition on the development of the dominant branch of agriculture in Vojvodina
The early exhibitions on the history of agriculture were displayed in the former wheat storehouse (Pavilion 1). The refurbishment of the premises for housing permanent exhibits started immediately after the foundation of the Museum. In the course of the nineties, several thematic exhibitions were organized on three levels. By their contents, conception and scientific aspect, they make up a unique entity showing how the dominant agricultural branches were developing in this part of the world.
The Exhibition of Agricultural Machinery and Tools
Pavilion 2 is an auxiliary facility, typical for large estates in Vojvodina, dating from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. In the past, this building served as a horse stable, a blacksmith’s shop, a workshop and also as a carriage shed. It is unknown whether its purpose has been changing through history or not, or when it was exactly built, but it is certain that at the time when the Dundjerski family was managing the estate, the building did wear the present shape and did have the above mentioned functions. Several original items have been preserved from that period, which are now displayed at the permanent exhibition: a forge with blacksmith’s bellows and lathe.
ETHNO-HOUSE "BRVNARA" IN BAČKI JARAK
This heritage collection bearing ethnology and history features was set up at the initiative of the population living in Bački Jarak, colonists from Bosanska Krajina. The idea to establish such a collection was initiated in 1946. It was motivated by the wish to preserve the memory on the old homeland.
Brvnara (Log Cabin) ethno house was built in 1978, with the financial support of the local self-government from Bački Jarak and Temerin, Drvar, Banja Luka and Bosanski Petrovac municipalities. The implementation was carried out by the experts coming from the Museum of Vojvodina, City Museum of Novi Sad, the Museum in Bosanska Krajina and Banja Luka and the Provincial Institute for the protection of cultural monuments.
Beside Brvnara, three other buildings had been bought: a cottage with a window, for young married couples, one for storing and processing milk and dairy products, called "ajat" or "mlečar” and a barn for storing maize.
The new permanent exhibition in Brvnara ethno house was created by the Museum of Vojvodina from Novi Sad, back in 1999. Original museum items, historical documents and photographs are displayed, which are distinctive as far as folk culture and the past of the population coming from Krajina is concerned.